We are back in the hospital with Ada. At her follow up checkup for her heart surgery they found that she had fluid around her heart. So they decided to take her to the cath lab to tap the fluid off. When they did this the color of the fluid looked like milk. That is not good. She is leaking lymphatic fluid around her heart. It is called chylothorax. One of her lymphatic vessels was nicked during the surgery, or so they think. The drain is still in place and we are manually pulling the fluid off every two hours. It is finally starting to slow up. We checked an echo this morning to see how things are looking. If things slow down more then they will clamp the drain and recheck another echo to make sure no more fluid is accumulating. So an overnight stay is turning out to be a weekend stay. (I hope not longer!) If things don't slow up then the only other option is to go back to surgery. We are trying to be optimistic. The doctors and nurses here are wonderful and provide great care. For that I am greatful. I am just missing my other children. But I know that they are in great hands! Thanks to grandparents, family, and friends!!
Friday, August 1, 2008
Back in the Hospital
We are back in the hospital with Ada. At her follow up checkup for her heart surgery they found that she had fluid around her heart. So they decided to take her to the cath lab to tap the fluid off. When they did this the color of the fluid looked like milk. That is not good. She is leaking lymphatic fluid around her heart. It is called chylothorax. One of her lymphatic vessels was nicked during the surgery, or so they think. The drain is still in place and we are manually pulling the fluid off every two hours. It is finally starting to slow up. We checked an echo this morning to see how things are looking. If things slow down more then they will clamp the drain and recheck another echo to make sure no more fluid is accumulating. So an overnight stay is turning out to be a weekend stay. (I hope not longer!) If things don't slow up then the only other option is to go back to surgery. We are trying to be optimistic. The doctors and nurses here are wonderful and provide great care. For that I am greatful. I am just missing my other children. But I know that they are in great hands! Thanks to grandparents, family, and friends!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
Jodi~
I am so sorry you have to be back in the hospital. Poor Ada. I hope they can get this fixed without needing to go back in for surgey.
Hang in there you guys! We can't even imagine how physically and emotionally draining this must be for you all. Heavenly Father must have a lot of faith in you two to let you go through these trials. We will be praying for you, Ada and your other darling little kids.
Jodi - wish I would have read your blog earlier this week - I was up there today and I could have brought you lunch or something (not that you really know me - but hey - sometimes after a few days in the hospital even an online aquaintance stopping in is nice ;) Praying that going NPO for a bit will really help with the fluid and that Ada will be home again soon! Please let us know if there's anything we can do!
Hugs!
Post a Comment